Richland County – Shelby Chapter
of the Ohio Genealogical Society
BYLAWS – DRAFT
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Richland County – Shelby Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, hereinafter referred to as the Chapter.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
- To support the mission of The Ohio Genealogical Society.
- To encourage active membership in the Chapter and in The Ohio Genealogical Society.
- To promote genealogical research and the collection of family histories through educational classes, workshops, lectures, and other events;
- To maintain an area in the Marvin Memorial Library devoted to local genealogy and history, as well as other publications of interest to members researching other parts of Ohio;
- To encourage Chapter members to publish materials of genealogical interest, including pedigree charts, family history stories, and books, for inclusion in the genealogical collection at Marvin Memorial Library, as well as submission to chapter and state lineage societies;
- To promote ethical standards in genealogical research and practices.
This chapter shall conduct business as an organization exempt under Section 501(c)3 of the Code.
ARTICLE III– MEMBERSHIP
- Section 1. Membership. Any person interested in genealogy may become a member of the Chapter by completing an application and paying dues. Members support the Chapter through researching, compiling and publishing books and other materials of genealogical and historical interest, producing Chapter newsletters, and contributing to the Chapter’s website.
Section 2. Membership categories. The voting membership shall consist of:
- Individual – Individuals who have paid annual dues as determined by the Executive Committee;
- Joint – Couples or families who have paid annual dues as determined by the Executive Committee. Each adult member shall have one vote.
Section 3. Records. The Chapter shall maintain a record of its members containing the name and contact information of each member, the date of admission to membership, and the category to which the member belongs.
Section 4. Dues. Annual dues to the Chapter shall be determined by the Executive Committee with the approval of the Chapter. Membership renewal shall be in the month of September.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
Section 1. Composition. The officers of this Chapter shall be: President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2. Duties of Officers.
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the Chapter and its Executive Committee, shall exercise general supervision over the affairs of the Chapter, and shall perform duties generally required of this office. The president shall be a member of the Ohio Genealogical Society.
- Vice President. The Vice President shall perform the duties of the President in his/her absence and shall assist the Program Committee with the monthly programs.
- Recording Secretary. The Recording Secretary shall keep records, including attendance, of all meetings.
- Corresponding Secretary. The Corresponding Secretary shall handle all the correspondence pertaining to the Chapter.
- Treasurer. The Treasurer shall keep accurate records of all monies received and paid as approved by the Chapter; prepare monthly and annual financial reports; and shall be responsible for the preparation and filing of any tax returns and reports.
Section 3. Election and Terms. The officers shall be elected for a term of two years per office. The President and Treasurer shall be elected in the even numbered years in the month of June. The Vice President, Recording Secretary and Corresponding Secretary shall be elected in the odd numbered years in the month of June and each officer shall take office in September. The Nominating Committee shall be appointed by the Executive Committee in April to present a slate of officers to be nominated in May for vote at the June meeting. The nominating committee will oversee the election, prepare ballots if needed, and tally votes to be announced to the President.
Section 4. Resignations, Removal of officers. The Executive Committee shall consider and act upon appointments, resignations and removal of officers.
Section 5. Vacancy. Office vacancies shall be filled by the President with the approval of the Executive Committee. In case of vacancy in the office of President, the Vice President shall succeed to the President’s unexpired term and continue through the term for which elected.
ARTICLE V – EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Section 1. Composition. The Executive Committee, comprised of all elected officers and the standing committee chairmen, shall have the power and authority to conduct the business and manage the affairs of the Chapter. The immediate Past President shall serve in an advisory role.
Section 2. Fiscal Responsibility. The Executive Committee shall act as trustees for all funds and property of the Chapter and shall authorize all expenditures of funds. The fiscal year of the Chapter shall be from January 1 to December 31. The Executive Committee shall prepare the annual budget of the Chapter for consideration and approval of the membership at their September meeting. The financial records of the Chapter shall be reviewed or audited at the close of each fiscal year.
ARTICLE VI – COMMITTEES
Section 1. Standing Committees. The following constitute standing committees:
- The hospitality committee recruits members to provide refreshments for each meeting.
- The Education committee coordinates workshops and classes, and maintains the Chapter’s website and social media channels.
- The membership committee maintains the Chapter’s membership records, and publishes the newsletter.
- Marvin Room. The Marvin Room committee maintains the room in the library and suggests new books for purchase.
Section 2. Ad Hoc Committees. The president, as he/she deems necessary may create an ad hoc committee to address a certain issue. When the issue is resolved, the committee will be disbanded.
Section 3. Duties of Committee Chairs. Each chair of a committee shall reside at all meetings of his/her committee; shall lead his/her committee in carrying out its designated responsibilities; and shall report at Executive Committee the activities and recommendations of his/her committee.
ARTICLE VII –MEETINGS
Section 1. Membership meetings. Membership meeting are conducted monthly, except in July and August at a place and time designated by the Executive Committee.
Section 2. Special Meetings. Special meetings of the membership shall be called by the Corresponding Secretary pursuant to a resolution of the Executive Committee. Calls for a special meeting shall specify the time, place and purpose thereof and no other business other than that specified in the call shall be considered at such meeting.
Section 3. Notifications. Notifications of time, place and pertinent agenda items for all membership meetings shall be given to all voting members via newsletter, email, standard mail and/or posted on the website and social media.
Section 4. Minutes of proceedings. The Recording Secretary of the Chapter shall keep correct and complete minutes of the meetings. All records may be examined by any member, for any reasonable and proper purpose and at any reasonable time.
Section 5. Parliamentary Authority. All business of the Chapter shall be conducted under Robert’s Rules of Order (most current edition).
Section 6. Quorum. The members present will constitute a quorum after all members have been notified of the meeting.
ARTICLE VIII – BY-LAW REVISION
By-laws may be revised with the approval of two-thirds of those present at any regular meeting of the Chapter, with notification of amendments to the membership.
ARTICLE IX – DISSOLUTION
In the event of dissolution, funds and tangible property of the Chapter shall be distributed to the Marvin Memorial Library, however, in the event it is refused, it will be offered to The Ohio Genealogical Society, and if refused, the assets will be distributed to another organization that is exempt under section 501(c)3 of the Code.